Saturday 28 July 2007

Jamboree Dreams

On the web...

Almost every day I write on my secret diary something about the Jamboree. I think it will be an exciting experience. In our group we began to talk about the Jamboree almost two years ago. Immediately I liked the idea of taking part in a so huge camp.

We kept a big sheet of paper against the wall of our headquarters and everyone who wanted to go to the Jamboree had to write their name on it. Now two of my group are going to the World Scout Jamboree: my friend, Lorenzo, and me.

In my country Scouting is famous. There are many groups in Italy and everyone is doing many activities to celebrate 100 years of Scouting. For example, in many cities in Italy the mayor nominates some streets with the name “Robert Baden Powell”. Then, on a Sunday of May, every group did in his own city many activities in which many non Scout children (but also adults) took part. We organised games, competitions, music, dance and also an exhibition. Furthermore, the Scouts who will not come to the Jamboree will be in contact with the camp thanks to the media.

There are many things that make me look forward to the Jamboree. First of all, being a girl Scout is one of the things I love the most. I’ve been a girl Scout since 1999. At the end of my first Saturday afternoon with my group I was already loving it. I said my promise and I’m still glad to be a girl Scout. The last years were really thrilling for me.

Now I notice that I begin to become enthusiastic over my new Scout experience. I’m really looking forward to the Jamboree… I think I’m very lucky to take part in it. One of the things that convinced me to go to the Jamboree is friendship: in fact one of the best virtues of the boy Scout is his friendship. I will have the opportunity to make new friends from all over the world. But sometimes I’m a bit shy. Maybe this Jamboree will help me to make new friends without hesitation.

Then, I think the Jamboree will be special for its activities. That’s the second big camp I’ll take part in: three years ago I took part in a National Camp and I made lots of new friends. If I imagine the Jamboree, I think about that wonderful National Camp with its hundreds of tents and thousands of Scouts. There is only a difference: the Jamboree will be even bigger and unique. It will be like visiting the world staying in the same place! I’ve never met scouts from other countries before… I’m sure it will be exciting!

When I was asked if I would like to be a young correspondent, I immediately wanted to. I really like writing: I keep a secret diary (I have already written 21 books!) and I gained my Scout Patent in Journalism. “So why not to be a young correspondent?”, I said. I’m sure it will be nice to write for the Jamboree newspaper.

Chiara F, Young Correspondent, Italian Contingent.

No comments: